Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Oh Canada!

Just a quick note to pay tribute to my homeland! I was sad this last weekend when my family was together and feasting on turkey for Thanksgiving, which for us Canadians comes in October! It made me think of those things I miss and get to enjoy when someone has extra trunk space. I miss Shreddies, Hickory Sticks, Old Dutch chips and beef jerkys, Fudgee-os, and the endless list of Canadian chocolate bars! Yes, it is different and yes, it tastes way better! Mostly I miss spending the holiday season with my family and enjoying all of mom's good cooking! Nobody makes beef stew, Slush, oatsies and meringnes like my mom! I love that we have our own unique traditions that never fail to remind me of home! These include nanaimo bars, fondue, graham cracker houses, endless hockey games and skating on the neighbors frozen tennis court (even though I always find a reason to skip that one!) I hate the snow and even though I am very grateful to live in a place where you don't get a burn from your frozen seat belt, the change of seasons always makes me a little homesick. I am proud to call both of my countries home! True, North, Strong and Free!

6 comments:

Leah Silver said...

And the north misses you! At least the special treats can help with some of the homesickeness.

garybeckyandkids said...

Awesome! I miss good ol' Canada too. Only if I lived there for only a few months I'm still proud to tell everyone about it!

Kara said...

Look at you blogging woman lately! I also miss so many wonderful things about the homeland, did you get to vote today?

The Whiddens said...

This will probaly me first and last post on here - but every once in a while you go and say something very enlightened.

Well done!

Jared

Andrea Whidden said...

Nice to be able to call both countries home!!!
I would have to agree with Kara, I like all blogging updates:)

Maryann said...

There is nothing like "home". Whether you have 1, 2, or many of them. I'm sorry that you aren't there to see and be with them. The memories sometimes sting a bit, but contain that longing. In Nov. we'll try to make it somewhat fun for you although it sounds like we won't succeed.